04 October 2006

Republish: Huh…What happened?

A little bit of history is in order I guess? (Don’t panic – just a little bit). Until fairly recently I was a full-time employee (logistics manager for the factory) of Carrier SA whilst studying (also basically full-time) law through UNISA. In my spare time I also tried to save the world of course…For a couple of years it almost looked like I was going to make it (except for the saving the world bit), but in July this year I hit rock bottom. Burned out! Shame… Anyhoo, I got to a point where working and studying because mutually exclusive. So I had to choose: continue with the last 14 out of 40 subjects for my degree or carry on with my job.

And that is how I became a truly full-time student for the first time ever! (Talk about priorities). I am officially unemployed at the moment and remarkably calm about it. I figure I have a few (6 or 7) months worth of breathing space from my first cushion (the name I call my savings by: “here cushy-cussion!”) before I need to actively start panicking. Nonetheless I am tightening my belt a bit to keep with the times. For instance I only shop once a week now, and since I’ve limited that I only use a fraction of the petrol that I used to as well. See? It’s a win-win situation. No seriously – I’ve negotiated a very good deal at home in an effort to help. I rent a room from my parents and the new deal is that if I do the cooking I don’t have to pay rent. Since I’m here anyway (busy studying of course!) I might as well, and on the upside I now get to choose what I eat. Once a month I do a spreadsheet of my expenses for the food and get re-imbursed. How cool is that?!

Ryan and Tammy pointed out to me on Saturday that I am doing this totally backwards of course. Most people study, then work, then marry and live alone. Mine seems to be working exactly in the opposite direction… I hadn’t actually considered it from that angle to be honest, but I guess they’re spot-on. (This is what happens when you don’t like following the instructions, right?). I’m trying to figure out what’s supposed to come next in the sequence but currently a solid possibility still eludes me.

Well…there you are! Just a little bit of history from my side. So I guess what you might be expecting is a pretty boring blog by a burnt out full-time student/part-time cook but since things never tend to be that simple in my experience don’t be too startled if it turns out a bit more hair raising than that, okay? I hope to give you a once a week peak into my world from the mundane to the bizare, so let’s see how that goes…

First instalment due Sunday 1/10/2006. (I had this in on time by the way - but silly Beta blogger wouldn't show it)

No comments: