08 October 2006

Pipe Cleaners save the day – an unlikely story of desperately needed support obtained from ex-smoking paraphernalia.

On the 14th of October Kwaaiplaas (the news/chat group) is having it’s 2nd Birthday party and the theme is supposed to be Greek Mythology. A certain wise-ass declared that she would be appearing as the one and only Madusa (you know the one with the full head of snakes…or having a very bad hair day?), and honestly I thought it would be really simple.

My plan was to strap some toy snakes to an alice-band and voila! Madusa as promised. But in not one single toy shop out of the 6 that I’ve visited have I been able to allocate a damn rubber snake that is suitable for this mission. Some of them are so big that if I had to strap only two onto my head I would also have to figure out what an Ancient Greek neck-brace looked like too, so as a plan B I decided to just add some coloured shiny ribbons and hope for the best. Unfortunately this did not even vaguely resemble snakes and I ended up looking more like the NixNax guy than Madusa.

Finally today I experienced a breakthrough! Yay! I was cleaning a corner of my room and discovered a bag full of old smoking stuff (4 pipes, 2 packets of pipe cleaners a big box of matches and about a kilo of flavoured tabacco). For in case you were wondering: I may have bordered on chain smoking but this was actually bought for a fundraising event at church – I’m just the custodian. Today is day 332 that I am clean of smoking, and still going strong. Anyway, back to Madusa… with the help of some pipe cleaners and red ribbon I now have a full head of snakes ready for next week. (Okay maybe half a head of snakes, but I ran out of pipe cleaners and frankly I think it will do).

See below – my snakes – expertly modeled by my lovely kettle together with a fetching black head scarf! I’ve grown quite attached to them already and can’t wait to show them off next week. ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's up with the burka? Hehe.

I wanna see your head in that gear...

Louisa said...

Head in head-gear photos will only be available after Saturday. I don't want to give everything away...

Gobody said...

Actually this looks very artistic, I am sure you will have tons of fun. Just don't "stone" anyone :)

Louisa said...

Thanx! I'll try my best. I'm really excited about it - last year we had a pajama party for our news group's birthday and it turned into a great event. I laughed so hard that I had stomach cramps for at least two days afterwards, and I'm hoping this year will turn out the same or even better.

Gobody said...

Wow, cramps for two day from laughing, that's something. I don't remember the last time I had that much laughs. One can get a lot of fun, but people around me tend to take life seriously, toooo seriously sometimes :(