18 March 2007

Till death do us part?

It’s been a busy week as always…but I’m sitting here and I have no idea what to write.(actually I have plenty ideas, but I find that I’ve been censoring myself lately). I suppose I could do the normal weekly write-up of what I’ve been up to? To be honest I don’t see that happening (or I might just make it a separate post)…this has become too much fluff and not enough teeth.

Call me hormonal if you want but I just feel like taking something apart today. So…what to do? The topic that has been niggling at me for a while now is one of dependence. My little dictionary describes it as: The state of needing somebody or something in order to survive or be successful. Hmmm…looking at it in that light I suppose everyone is dependent to some extent. Where does it cross over to being unhealthy? When do you become so dependant that you are the emotional equivalent of a parasite, unable to live without your host to cling to?

Mulling this over brought to mind a particularly memorable Bible study I once attended. We were discussing the topic of love. The preacher told us that he believed that there was three types of love…Eros (The erotic kind a.k.a. Lust), Philia (Like the love you have for a brother) and Agape (The only true love…selfless love).He also said that he believes in soul mates and he always cautions people not to marry their soul mates. Sounds funny, not so? He told us that he has seen on many occasions that when one of the two die the other follows soon after…they become so intertwined that they literally cannot survive without each other. They die from a broken heart… I think that actually sounds a lot more romantic than it actually is? Imagine physically dying because your heart is broken ?!

I am confused. On the one hand I am looking at two people who are very dear to me wasting away after losing “The One” on the other hand not going for “The One” is much like living a very long life after living on health food and giving up sex…you might live to be 100 but will you really want to? It’s like sky diving…yes…it is most certainly safer to stay in the plane…well actually if you want to be picky it’s probably safer on the ground since the door is open. But when you jump you feel so ALIVE! (But oddly more alone than anywhere else, which makes me wonder how the hell I connected it to this particular topic to begin with?).

To tell you the honest truth – it scares the daylights out of me. Okay…I’ll admit it. I want the soul mate kind of love. I think what everyone is really most scared of is falling that hard (or opening that completely) for someone that won’t waste away when you’re gone. Is that selfish?

This photo is off Deviant Art. It's called Stronghold - by *kailorien. (I really must figure out how to link it nicely like Gobody does). Follow this link to find out more about the artist and the photo.

This also brought to mind an old poem I wrote yonks ago. I’m adding it on here (hope you enjoy it) – be nice – I wrote this when I was 16.

Would you be there?

Will you be there for me,

If I need you someday?

Tomorrow? Today? Or Forever?


Could I feel safe with you?

Would you hold and protect me?

Could you never say never for me?


Could I call you at four?

Could I knock on your door?

Would you be there for me if I did?


Would you love me or leave me?

Protect or deceive me?

Will you always be there just for me?


And when I die someday,

Would you scatter my ashes

In the deep, dark, mysterious sea?


And when I’m gone, and you’re alone...

Would you always keep thinking of me?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your post... I think that i have found in Fabien my soul mate and i guess that it can be scary to thinking about a life without him. I know that we do actually live kmssss away from each other but at least i know that i can pick up the phone and tell him that i love him... But i can promise you that the day you find your soul mate you will no longer thing about having to open completely or the fear of lose him cause it will not matter any more. Whatever you will do, you will do without even knowing it... Love has its ways... You must not be scared to jump :-) and take the risk

Louisa said...

It must be very hard for you guy to live so far apart Gaby...when is Fabien coming over from Mauritius?

Don't worry too much about me - I know when it's time to jump! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you know the right time to jump in lol.

Well he was here already so he will only be coming next year. We are not sure yet but believe me i am already counting the days... Its hard but we are getting around it and he will be staying here for good next year so thats perfect!!!!
Thank for asking

Louisa said...

Well I hope that everything comes together for you really soon Gaby. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you... Believe me i can't wait to be part of a "normal couple" :-)

Gobody said...

Louisa, I cannot disagree more with your preacher. It is true that you might die soon after your soul mate dies, but you definitely would have lived a more fulfilling life.

I happen to know two soul mates, one male and one female. My love for them is independent of what I get from them, or don't get. I don't even demand that they live to my expectations. If I can be married in that, it would be heaven.

Louisa said...

Gobody,
It's interesting to me that you mention two soulmates (one male, and one female) - that is almost exactly what he told us too. But the difference is that where some people (like yourself) would embrace that kind of connection, some others (like him) would run from it.

I like to think that I will also embrace it... :-)

Anonymous said...

I believe that every person has a soulmate and a true love. Not necessarily the same person, and that is why you can be friends with your soulmate and marry your true love.

The really lucky people, are the people who find their true love and soulmate in one person...

I wonder how true that is, romance is sweet and let's face it 'romantic' but it can also be a rude awakening. But it's life.

How've you been?

Anonymous said...

Freddy!
Very nice to hear from you again!

Well, not doing so well at the moment - but you know me - I'm a survivor.

How are you?

Anonymous said...

I am doing good. Anti-work and very pro-LOTTO!

*sigh*