04 November 2006

This (and a bit of last) week in a nutshell...

Well, it was a pretty uneventfull week. Compared to last week at least? I was still battling with Blogger to update at that time so I may have left out some details, so I better clue you in on those too.

Last week was not really a good week for people to know me I guess…

One of my buddies (Tanya) was involved in a smash and grab robbery (as the victim of course!) and even though she was not injured, she did suffer some emotional trauma. That makes me really mad! How dare these criminals carry on like this and make prisoners (of their own fear if nothing else) of people like that?! It’s probably better that nothing like this has ever happened to me – because I think I would most likely react so violently that I may end up endangering my own life or that of innocent people around me. I just skip scared and go for furious. *Note to self: re-look at that anger management thing maybe?

Then, after that another family friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. This illness is apparently more common than one would expect, last I heard if you are a woman you stand a 1 out of 10 chance of getting it? (Mmm, this is sales pitch data – so it could be ever so slightly inaccurate) Those odds suck if you ask me – especially since I am apparently in a high risk bracket (Don’t ask…I won’t ellaborate). Luckily it was an early detection and the cancer has not yet spread into the glands. They have already operated and successfully? removed all the cancer, but her doctor has recommended a full masectomy on both breasts and she has only a week or so to decide if she “wants” to do that. Apparently her chances for the cancer not to return is much better if there is nothing to return to? That is truly horrible! I’m not sure if I would be able to make a decision like that if I were in that possition. I hope it works out well for her whatever she decides…

Then, my friend Simone’ lost her husband Pieter in a very tragic bike accident last week. He was driving around a bend in the road when a taxi-bus popped out of a blind entrance and they collided, since there was no time for him to avoid it or stop – it was instant. He leaves behind two very young children too: Mishcke (4) and Juan-Antonio(2). pic of Pieter with his son

And of course my exam – all in one week!

That’s why I am really releived to say that this week was fairly uneventfull. But nonetheless, here are all the events of the week:

My mom went back to work on Wednesday after almost a month recuperating from her 3-in-1 operation.

We bought a new not-inflatable pool (the other one got slashed by Tigger in a survival attempt after she decided to drink water from it and fell in…the patches come off in the heat, so I constantly had to re-fix it!)

I wrote another exam on Thursday

I went bowling with Freddy and some of his friends (and I came second – whoo-hoo!)

Had a great seafood dinner with *Esmerelda* and Jacobus on Friday and saw a spectacular sunset of which I couldn’t get a decent photo taken (so you’ll just have to imagine it – it was a sky’s on fire type)

I’m exhausted! Wish I could sleep now – but I’m writing on Monday morning so no rest for the wicked (or even just for me). ;-)

3 comments:

Gobody said...

Pretty much happening for uneventful week. I feel sorry for your friend who lost her husband.

Louisa said...

I feel very sorry for the kids, more than anything. I have always been very close to my dad, and I couldn't even begin to imagine growing up without him...

Anonymous said...

Simone:

Dankie Heksie, the pic means a lot to us.