24 December 2006

It was the week before Christmas...and in SA not a thing was quiet!

Yes…this had been another crazy week! Of course…

To start off it was my brother’s birthday parties. We had a nice sit-down dinner with the family on Wednesday and a big bash (32 people on short notice) at the Keg on Thursday which was his actual birthday. Picture of both the birthday boy and the bash included here.

We have an arrangement that when it’s his birthday I am the sober designated driver and when it’s mine then he is. We’ve had this arrangement for a couple of years and I have to say it works really well…I think everyone who was there had a great time! Although instead of deteriorating into the normal kind of drinking game fiasco at some stage they started playing

Rock-Paper-Scissors (Ching-Chong-Cha!) and best out of 3 got to punch the loser on the chest or arm…being possibly the only sober person there I have to say the motivation for playing this kind of escaped me. But they all had fun, no one was seriously injured and my brother managed to sport some spectacular bruises on his shoulder and arm the next day.

Other than that I managed to visit Simone’ and the kids wich was fun! They are both so cute…I’d say little angels, but I see too much of their mom in them to make that mistake…hahaha! Simma good luck, those two are always going to be keeping you on your toes.

I am also extremely happy that this Christmas madness is almost at an end. And releived to report that I managed to stay out of any major stampede areas (malls) this week…except for the package wrapping that I had to do yesterday for the Lions Club, but it was not too bad since it was done in a fairly quiet centre and close to an escape route! I’m very happy that I don’t have to wrap today…seems a lot of shoppers leave it to the last possible minute. I had such a wide variety of stuff that I had to wrap yesterday…a gazzilion boxes of chocolate…a telescope (that was the most spectacular)…a poop scoop (that was the most bizarre – must be for a neighbour?)…watches…bubble baths ad infinitum…enormous remote control helicopters, planes, bikes, dinosaurs and and and! One the one hand I like that most of the really expensive gifts were for kids because this truly is a holiday for them…but on the other hand it makes me sad to see how big people go…where is the simple pleasure of spending time with loved ones and family and the notion that it’s the thought that counts? I understand that when you have kids you want whats best for them and to treat them at every opportunity (especially to whatever you maybe felt was missing in your childhood?), but I sometimes wonder if we as a society are not doing our babies a dis-service by numbing them to simple things…what exactly does it take to wow a kid these days? Where will it all end?!

Okay…that’s my soapbox moment for the week ;-)…I hope that everyone will be enjoying a blessed time with their families and loved ones over Christmas (or whatever festive season you happen to celebrate). I hope that if you have to travel that you get there and back safely…and that you still get thrilled by the little things that make life special…and I hope that in the next few days you manage to get at least a minute or two to think about the special year that’s almost behind us…what you have to be thankfull for and the challenges and adventures that might be coming your way in 2007…in other words, I hope you manage to make your new years resolutions while you’re not under the influence!

A very merry Christmas to all!

2 comments:

Gobody said...

Do you guys take any break from parties ;)? what are you going to do for the new year? I am sure another big party :)

About the kids; they are smarter than us. They don't use all these toys they receive, they make their own toys and the bought ones are gathering dust!

Louisa said...

The parties get a bit less after new years but still goes srong while the weather lasts...I think it's the heat? ;-)

For new years I'm going to a house warming of my friend Wanette's new house...should be fun and easy going. Last year we did the clubbing new years and I had the misfortune of being one of the last people to get of the dance floor when midnight struck...I had so much champagne in my hair it felt like candyfloss!

It was also a fun way to see in the new year but I'm very happy to do a house party (literally) this year. :-)