25 February 2007

Gimme the good news...

This week has been unbearably hot! It feels like my brain is in a slow cooker (my skul- my slow cooking skul…mmmm…there might be a poem in that somewhere?). I don’t know if the weather buro is just trying to make us feel better or what, but when they say 30’C the car’s thermometer indicated 38’C after about 5 minutes in the sun. This is not my car that we’re talking about by the way – some days it feels like I am the only person in AFRICA who doesn’t have aircon in my car! Anyway, when I get into that car it is of little to no consolation to me to hear that it’s just because the car was standing…a moving target apparently gathers less sun? It’s 38’C – deal with it. The car feels it, I certainly feel it, and we don’t know why you can’t just admit it and move on…


In an effort to entice thunder and lightning and a reprieve from global warming and heat waves – I will attempt to wash my own car this week – by hand! If it doesn’t rain then I have no idea what I will do…be warned that it might actually snow, or hell might freeze over.

A progress report on project proper swimming pool: It has been established that the pool is too deep and after thinking that the worst of it was behind us now, we were once more visited by our “friendly and efficient” construction team yesterday for the pouring of another layer of concrete to rectify this problem. Now it will have to stand another week being watered three times a day. At that point they will return to put the last layer and the water in. Rumour has it that the pool will have to stand for three weeks before we can swim in it after that. And my dad plans to empty the temporary pool into the new pool because it will halfway fill it up and save on water. So I see plenty of cold showers or hosing down in my future.

I should be happy to report that I now have access to my dad’s uncapped ADSL for free (the little pleasures of unemployment), however – I can not download my Gmail to outlook with it or access IRC with it for some reason only known to Telkom. And to be honest that’s basically where I use most of my data anyway so I’m not getting as much joy from it as I had hoped. It seems that intentionally or unintentionally every telecommunications network in SA is out to get me…yes…you guessed it! I am still not at peace with Vodacom either. I will be investigating the training and maintenance needs of messenger doves in weeks to come. ;-)

Other news this week: I managed to see Freddy for a visit. Initially we were going to re-inact a pancake day that the people in the UK had on Tuesday which we only found about afterwards – but it didn’t work out that way exactly because Freddy also helped me restore some stuff on my PC which didn’t make it through the re-install after Trojan, and we never got round to the pancakes – although we did have some excellent coffee. Thanks Freddy!

Also I saw Louelle on Friday and again on Saturday because it was the food collection week for the Lions. Every month they collect non-persihables at the Pick ‘n Pay at Heathway Shopping centre for soup kitchens and impoverished families in the area. Louelle is such a ray of sunshine when it comes to this. She smiles and works the kids and it’s clear to see that people find it hard to resist her request. We collected an astonishing 4 trolleys between 8:00 and 13:00. I saw with my own eyes how a guy walked out with a bag containing a loaf of bread and a liter of milk while leaving us with half a trolley of canned goods. When you see genorousity like that how can you help but be positive?

I was also invited to a couple of braais over the weekend. Yesterday our family went over to our neighbours house and today I attended another one at Tanya’s house. It was all very nice but I think I should keep a low profile at places without pools until the end of the heat wave at least! Sitting outside in this blistering heat for 5 hours will take it right out of you!

Some sad news: an old friend Desire’s brother died in a car accident this week and the funeral will be held on Friday. It’s a terrible shame - and my thoughts and prayers are with her family in this time of need. He was such a friendly little guy with so much potential when I saw him. We met on a Voortrekker camp that I used to help organize (many moons ago), he was a junior (std.6) and it was his first Seekamp ever. Des was also one of the organisers and so her brother tended to tag along quite a bit. One day he injured his wrist with some careless horseplay on the beach and as luck would have it both his big sister and the lady in charge of first aid was out on overnight trips with other groups. First aid was my baby for the day and after doing a thorough examination on his hand I came to the conclusion that he was just craving a little attention. It was a sprain but not very serious in my opinion – not even any swelling and the injury seemed to flare up whenever he needed to do something or wanted to chat a bit. So I played a little trick on him. I bandaged his arm all the way to his shoulder and put it in a sling for him. And I told him that if it didn’t feel better soon we’d have to take him to hospital! He got such a fright that the arm was miraculously cured within the hour. We had some good giggles about that afterwards when he realized what I had done… he was a sweet kid and it’s a shame that his life was cut short so suddenly. I want to go to the funeral so I will have to figure out where Springs is before Friday. GPS, don’t fail me now…

That’s about it for this week – I hope you all will have a good week. Keep a lookout for that rain!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

We still need to have our own pancake night! Pancakes, waffles, ice-cream, chocolate, coffee, and, and, and! Hmmm... Mojo approves!

I am sorry to hear of the sad news of your friend's loss. If you need a guide on getting to Springs then let me know! My neck of the woods so I am sure I can figure out a 'foolproof' way of getting there in case Gwen feels otherwise! Hehe.

Have you got another busy week ahead of you?

Looks like rain on the horizon today, small consolation with the heatwave but nonetheless a welcomed sight!

;-)

Louisa said...

Thanks Freddy! I think I will definitely take you up on that offer on how to get to Springs. :-)

I'll give you a buzz about a reschedule on the pancakes and other decadent goodies.

Weather: I see clouds! yay!!! but no rain yet...maybe I should just wash my car anyway to be on the safe side?

Anonymous said...

I commented on your comment on my blog btw!

Hehe.

I think you should wash your car, we need that rain. The sky has been threatening to burst, but it's all talk no action!!!

;-)

Gobody said...

+38C? would you believe that I was vacationing in the north pole where the degree was -30C? That's only about 70C difference :)

Louisa said...

Gobody, -30'c geez...that seems like a very cold place to vacation. What exactly do you do in that kind of weather?

Louisa said...

Freddy,

I saw your response - thanx!

I'll wash my car tomorrow for sure - so pack a jacket to work okay?

;-)

Don said...

Aaargh! Renovating. Gonna feel your pain in a few weeks. Can't wait. :: blech ::

Louisa said...

Good luck with the renovations Don! I think ours is almost over now - at last!
What kind of renovations are you doing?

Don said...

A pool, re-doing the main bathroom and repainting the whole house, all before we move in tho which is cool. Moving out our place tomorrow, everything in storage for a month (except ourselves and our personals of course which will be bunking with mates) and then in on 1 April. It's been a long haul!

Louisa said...

That is quite alot of work that needs to get done...very good plan to move out while they're busy. The dust alone will drive you mad.

My dad likes building in phases (and engineer thing I've heard)...which means that our house has been a WIP (Work in Progress) for 23 years.

I like your approach more!

Don said...

We'll see if it all gets done in time tho'.

:: holding thumbs ::

Louisa said...

I hope it work out the way you planned it :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Louisa,

How are you doing? I have known that you had a blog for a while but i never really had the chance to check it out. When i saw you comment on Freddy's i thought it was time. I am really happy that i did cause its really cool. I have one too but its restricted i will send you the link and all so that you can have a look. I hope to see you some time soon...

Gaby

Louisa said...

Gaby!!!!
Ca va? ;-)

I saw a link for your blog on Hans' blog a while ago but i couldn't follow it. It will be great if you could let me in, thanks!

How's are you doing? And your fiance'? Everything okay?

I read on Les Malin but I've been a bit lazy to grab the dictionary and make responses...sorry...i'll get on it this week.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Je vait bien merci. I have just allowed you in my so that you can have a look. I am not really great at expressing myself so i use song lyrics and poems and stories to do it for me. let me know what you think. My fiance is doing fine considering the fact that he had to leave and it was really hard. However, like i told you on les malin we had good news that it won't be a problem to get married. So in about a year or so we will and he will be able to come and live here with me. In the mean time i am studing and i hope to get a better job with a better pay. I haven't really been active in les malin either but we should get to it before freddy gets upset and looks for us again ;-)Haha.
Hear from you again soon.

Gaby

Louisa said...

That is great news Gaby! I am so happy for you...:-)It must be so frustrating only seeing him basically once a year.

You are right, we really must get more active on the group. I feel extremely guilty about my neglect of it.

I'll have a look at your blog for sure - but I'm sure it's much better than you claim.

Speak to you soon!

Anonymous said...

hey Louisa,

I send you the link.... thank you for wanting to have a look. You will have to let me know what you think as you know one can't really be judge of his art hehehe. I am sure that things will be much better for both my fiance and I as we know that there is a solution and that we will be together. It is reall hard to only see him for 3 weeks a year and i am looking forward to being about to be a NORMAL COUPLE. Any ways i will make sure that i too respond to the mail on les malin soon.

Cheers
Gaby

Louisa said...

Gaby,
I am going to have a look today still - thank you!
:-)

Daedalus said...

Pops, I live out in the Far East - Springs (Suspension City) again since Dec. Sorry to read the sad news :(

Louisa said...

Thanks Daedalus.

It's very sad...I hate funerals - and this will be the second one I attend this year already (last year was that kind of year for weddings).I have no idea what I'm going to say to the people when I get there either. Guess I'll just be there and quiet...maybe that will mean something anyway?

I didn't know you were from Springs? Or the far east as you put it...

I hope I don't get lost! My cousin is always laughing at me - she says that it's funny that I can drive down to George and Knysna on my own but I can't find my way in Pretoria (where she lives)...but I mean really George only has about two main roads anyway. Not even I could get lost there. Whereas PTA is a mess on no-named one-ways and main roads that down;t clearly indicate where they're going. Where you sometimes have to veer away from the building that you want to get to (like UNISA) to actually be on the road that gets there! I really hope that Springs is more straight forward.

I better make sure I have that area loaded on the GPS before I go, fresh set of batteries and a full tank of petrol. :-) If you see someone aimlessly driving up and down wearing black and driving a little blue tazz - that will probably be me.

Gobody said...

In this type of weather you do as the natives do, strip naked and jump into an ice hole ;-p.

I could see that you got a lot of traffic; 21 comments is something heh? :)

Louisa said...

Gobody,

Geez...hahahah...that sure sounds like fun! I'm sure in those temperatures it must really take your breath away to do that, hey? Did you do it more than once? I could see myself jumping naked into an ice hole once but after that I think I'd have to give my heart a serious push to do it again! :-)

As for the comments...it does seem like a busy week for my old bloggy. Yay!!! But don't be fooled - half of the comments are mine, so I'm not sure if it counts?

I loved that picture you posted on yours btw...i've "burrowed" it to my PC for a potential winter wall paper, hope you don't mind? I never get to see real snow, so I always get a kick out of it when I see nice pics of it.

Daedalus said...

Louisa,
I grew up in Springs, Studied in the Vaal, moved back to Springs, Move to PTA then JHB and now Springs again :P

You will either take the N12 (Witbank Highway) or the N17 (toll road) to get to Springs (the town itself is fairly simple)

Louisa said...

Thanks Daedalus,
If I see any other highways on my way there I'll know that I'm already lost!
;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Louisa,

I have just used your hotmail address to allow you in my blog. I hope that it is ok and that you will be able to access it. I am kind of shy to let others in cause i don't think that i writing interesting thing but any ways hope you will enjoy some of thing stuff there. I wish you a great weekend and i am looking forward to reading you next post. Btw i adore the pics of you cat they are soooo sweet.

See you

Gaby

Louisa said...

Hi Gaby!
I tried getting into your blog earlier but I'm still haveing trouble...I might be doing something wrong. I'll try again later.
Hope you have an excellent week-end too!
As far as my cat goes...it's actually rare to see Tigger Up and Awake at all, I'm pretty sure she sleeps more than the average 18 hours that cats are supposed to. Often I think that she's somewhere in the house (awake) only to discover another one of her nests in somone's cupbiard or behind a sofa or something. She seems to just briefly wake up to look cute, eat or move to the next bed. Aaaaw...but she is so cute!